The terrible, awful, no good, horrible rainy day weather we experienced recently can really put a damper on your children’s adventures. Kids will be kids and they absolutely love to play outside so what can you do to keep them entertained? Creating indoor friendly activities can inspire a world of imaginative play.
Below are some ideas for ways to have fun exploring the great indoors while enjoying Scotland Yard apartment living:
- Have an indoor treasure hunt – Make one set of clues for every player, each clue leading to the next one and, finally, to the treasure!! Whoever solves the clues first and finds the treasure is the winner. You can even have your kids play as a team to solve the clues and uncover the treasure together!
- Camp in the great indoors – Who says tents have to stay outside? If you have a pop-up or small dome tent, it’s easy to set up camp for your kids indoors. If not, you can create tents by draping sheets over the couch. Make them comfy with lots of pillows and blankets. You can easily add a star-like ambiance by stringing up your Christmas lights!
- Minute to Win It tournament – Make it a day they’ll never forget with these awesome games from items you likely have at home already!
- Full of Hot Air – Set up 15 plastic or paper cups at one end of a table. Using straws they will have to blow the cups all the way to the other end of the table. First one to get all the cups to the other side – Wins!
- Small Transfer – Use straws to suck up the air to pick up mini marshmallows and transfer them to a bowl. Set a time limit for them to beat. And afterwards – marshmallow fight anyone?
- Noodling Around – Set out 8 penne noodles on a table. Give the participants a raw spaghetti noodle to place in their mouth and try to pick up the penne noodles with. This one might take some practice.
4. Bake cupcakes!
Although being forced indoors can be upsetting sometimes, it gives your family an opportunity to create awesome memories and tons of laughter!